In the kitchen
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- Keep tea towels and cloth pot-holders away from the stove.
- Keep grills, fans and cooking surfaces free of grease.
- Replace faulty appliances.
In the lounge room
- Keep toys, clothing and curtains away from heaters.
- Ensure heaters are turned off when you go to bed.
- Keep a fire screen in front of open fires.
- Keep candles, incense and oil burners away from anything flammable.
- Keep lighters and matches away from children.
In the bedroom
- Don’t smoke in bed.
- Don’t leave an electric blanket on for more than 30 minutes.
- Don’t put anything on top of a bed when an electric blanket is on, including objects, pets or people.
- Have a smoke detector in every bedroom.
In the laundry
- Clean the lint filter in the clothes dryer after each load.
- Let the dryer complete its cool-down cycle before stopping it.
In the home office
- Never overload power boards.
- Don’t use faulty devices.